Scripting a text to binary digits converter

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Mon Jan 2 17:15:24 EST 2012

I tried using the numberFormat to pad zeroes. It worked but was about 20% slower
(if I did my math correctly).

I got roughly a 6% speed improvement using 'repeat for each char tChar' instead
of repeat with n = 1..."

My test sample was 1000 chars.

function convertTextToBinary varText
    --repeat with n = 1 to the number of chars of varText
    repeat for each char tChar in varText
       --put chartonum(char n of varText) into theNum
       put chartonum(tChar) into theNum
       put baseConvert(theNum,10,2) into tBaseConverted
       put char -8 to -1 of ("00000000" & tBaseConverted ) into tBaseConverted
       put tBaseConverted after tConverted
    end repeat
    return tConverted
end convertTextToBinary