iOS; Android: manual sound recording level

Kurt Kaufman kkaufman at snet.net
Sun Jan 1 23:18:56 EST 2012

It's odd, perhaps, when you consider that earlier mobile phone software, such as Symbian s60, offered manually-adjustable sound recording levels at least as far back as 2005. Perhaps the capability will be rolled-out over time with revisions to iOS and Android. But I would guess that many people are so used to the battle-ravaged mess that they generally don't notice the difference. So now we have a situation where the 50-year-old Wollensak tape recorder in my basement makes better recordings than the iPhone (and they're both monaural).