iOS; Android: manual sound recording level

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Sun Jan 1 18:54:47 EST 2012

Sound in the web world, I've discovered, is a battle-ravaged mess by the
time it gets to user, further exacerbated by the trend toward hiding or
eliminating controls, enabling players to start at the loudest volume
possible, and hypercompression and clueless recording by content providers.

I'm not surprised at what you've discovered.

By the way, true compression and averaging software will never clip, but
it's usually implemented by people who don't care or don't test the crap
they make. I also doubt the Android software has any such feature. You are
just getting what you get.