Search, Replace and Unicode

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Sat Dec 29 15:17:28 EST 2012

On 12/29/12 11:52 AM, Richmond wrote:
> On 12/29/2012 09:38 PM, Phil Davis wrote:
>> Hi Richmond,
>>
>> Just curious - does setting the lockMessages & lockScreen to true
>> speed it up any? Or hiding the field? (Sorry if these have already
>> been answered; I'm not following the thread too closely)
>
> I really don't know as I am so "thick" those possibilities had not
> occurred to me.
>
> However, I cracked open my monster Sanskrit font and looked at it
> FontForge and realised that I was being fairly bl**dy silly crunching
> through
> thousands of irrelevant unicode addresses, so chopped things up into 3
> REPEAT UNTIL loops for the unicode ranges that were relevant to my work:
>
> 2325 - 2431
> 57354 - 58498
> 61952 - 62738
>
> giving a saving of some 58371 interations!!!! and boiling the whole
> thing down to about 5 seconds . . . that is on the same sample text I
> previously used.

Wow! Nice gain.

> HOWEVER . . . now I will play around with setting lockMessages and
> lockScreen as per your suggestions to see if there is any appreciable
> gain.
>
> Phil; you state that you are "not following the thread too closely";
> is that because it is not something that interests you, or do you have
> a stake in Unicode text manipulation but have been busy elsewhere.

I am being dragged toward Unicode, kicking and screaming. It looms large
in my future, as one client has asked me to add support for Arabic in
his training system soon. But I don't have much experience with it. I'm
hoping the improvements in LC 5.5 and beyond will make for a little
smoother landing in UnicodeLand.

> I sometimes get the feeling (err . . . paranoid) that I am the only
> person using RR Livecode who is doing 'serious sh*t' with unicodeText;
>
> but, hey, why should I worry?; in 1985, at the University of Durham, I
> was the only student trying to process text with PASCAL 5 while all the
> Physics students were crunching numbers.
>

>> On 12/29/12 8:18 AM, Richmond wrote:
>>> ran it through unicode addresses from 2325 to 62738, which took
>>> about 90 seconds, which is rather too long, so
>>> will cut that down to run through several ranges of unicode
>>> addresses rather than the whole shebang.

Phil Davis