Learning LiveCode

Peter M. Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 18:18:16 EST 2012

On Dec 27, 2012, at 3:40 PM, Robert Sneidar wrote:

> Concerning the message path and objects, it also helps me to think about where the highest object (the stack script being the lowest and last to receive a message, barring back scripts) where shared code can be accessed by the objects on a card or background that needs them. That is where I will put the command or function. (Some will say this the other way around, but I am thinking about a flow chart working top to bottom as the message progresses.)

Interesting. I mostly visualize it the opposite way, with the buttons & fields on the lowest level and then the card, background, and stack scripts higher and higher, with the engine at the top catching everything not handled by scripts, and frontscripts before everything, and backscripts before the engine, and behaviors inserted in there sort of on the side. Either that or I see it as front to back, with buttons and fields in the front and the engine at the back. I suppose if you think in terms of flowcharts going from top to bottom makes sense, but somehow I got the other image in my mind at some point.

Funny how we get these images in our heads and often don't even think of talking about them. For instance, I visualize the months of the year in a counterclockwise circle, with summer at the top and fall to the left, followed by winter then spring climbing up on the right towards summer again. Why, I don't know. Probably dates back to age 3 or 4, I guess. My take on the message path doesn't go back that far, however.  :-)

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig