Find vs. Offset

Peter Bogdanoff bogdanoff at me.com
Mon Dec 17 18:29:57 EST 2012

Hi,

I have a stack with multiple substacks. One of the substacks is a Search tool to find text in the other substacks. Given a string to find, it searches the other stacks, returns a list of the cards where the string was found (there may be multiple hits on the same card), and puts excerpts of the strings of text (3 words before and after the found chunk) into a field. The user then clicks on a line of the field to go to a card where the text was originally found--there I do another Find to put the found box around the text.

Am I right in assuming that I should use the offset function to do the original search rather than the Find command?

I see that when I use the Find command, although I lock the screen, it is unlocked after going to each stack. Also I suspect it is a much slower method.

There is a lot more scripting to do with the offset to search multiple fields, and multiple hits in the same field, to I would like to know if this is the best method.

Any experience with this?

Peter
UCLA