Why Does "remove" Actually "delete"?

Klaus on-rev klaus at major.on-rev.com
Tue Dec 11 08:55:45 EST 2012

Hi Scott,

Am 11.12.2012 um 09:19 schrieb Scott Rossi <scott at tactilemedia.com>:

> Thanks for the responses on this.  Apparently when using the term "group",
> the source card of the group is required (placing fails if you don't
> reference the source card).  If you use the term "background" you
> (apparently) don't need to specify the source card.

the difference between "goup" and "background" is the way Livecode sees them!
Groups are counted relative to the current card, backgrounds to the stack!

put the num of groups
## will give the number of groups of the current card!
put the num of backgrounds
## will give the num of ALL groups in the current stack!

That's why you need to add the card descriptor when using "place GROUP xyz..."

> And removing works fine in a simple test stack, so I'm at loss why the
> group is being deleted in my production stack.

This is very strange and should not happen, keep an eye on it :-)

> But I used a workaround of
> copying a group from one card to another so things are OK.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, UX Design