altkey() down, up & halfway down

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 03:00:35 EST 2012

Advice from Andre Garzia:

"I have no problem with that and I use it here as well. Just do a visual
feedback like this:
on rawKeydown, check for the altKey and change all the labels of the
buttons for the
actions they will perform if that key is down, this way, as soon as
someone presses ALT,
the labels change and they know what is happening."

which makes 100% sense, but I really don't know HOW on a Macintosh:

On a Macintosh "on rawKeydown, check for the altKey" means 'check that
the altKey is down as I press another key', so
any label changing on buttons is going to happen AFTER THE FACT rather
than BEFORE, which misses the point.

"as soon as someone presses ALT, the labels change"

would be lovely, and can be lovely on Windows or Linux, but cannot on
Macintosh as
far as I can see.

Richmond.