Security of LiveCode compiled files

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Aug 27 18:05:55 EDT 2012

This question gets asked a lot. I just downloaded a hex viewer and inspected a compiled LC app. None of the coding is visible. I viewed an uncompiled stack and that DOES show the actual source code. I also downloaded a decompiler, but you kind of have to know what it was originally written in to decompile it, and what you would get I think is the engine that is glued to the stack mostly if you could even decompile it. I was unsuccessful in getting anything from the decompile app. I don't know how to use it though.

If it is a big concern to you, I would recommend creating a simple app, and then have someone who really knows how to do this sort of thing attempt to pull it apart and reproduce your scripts.

I should mention that only the mainstack is really compiled. All supporting stacks, substacks, etc are NOT compiled, so you should lock those with a password. Still, I do not think that would help you if someone used a hex editor.

Bob