New Pricing

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 11:31:18 EDT 2012

Richard, I think this is the problem, isn't it?

If you're going to support Linux in a way that is viable and attractive for
people wanting a Linux based programming environment, this is not cutting
it.  To do that you have to make the Linux environment available in the same
way you make Mac, Windows Android or IOS.  You have to go after it as a
market in its own right. You can't have an effective entry into the Linux
programming environment when your offering is, buy a bunch of stuff you
neither need nor want, for double the price of if you bought Windows or Mac,
and the Linux version will come bundled with it.

My feeling would be, this is worse than not having a Linux version at all.
It will bring costs but neither benefit nor goodwill.  And the problem is,
Python and so on are not as attractive as programming environments, at least
not for me, but they are pretty much immune to these rather arbitrary
positioning decisions and the uncertainty that they bring with them.

I am a great believer for companies in doing whatever they do
wholeheartedly, and making a real effort at it, and the question for Rev is
why are you doing it like this?  Decide.  Either go after the Linux market,
in which case position your offering for that market, or don't waste energy
and money on it.

I don't know what the correct commercial decision is for Rev on that one,
but that is the decision.  The present situation smacks of being unwilling
to go after the market, but too indecisive to actually take the logical
consequence of such a refusal and kill it, and that cannot do anyone any
good.

Peter