calling postgresql from the command line or within a .lc script

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 18:20:57 EDT 2012

I just can't find a livecode lesson that doesn't just directly access a
MySQL port . . .

I think I'm far enough along with livecode server to take a swing at
talking to postgresql

I try
 put revOpenDatabase("postgresql", "dochawkbk.on-rev.com"
,"dochawkb_aTestDb","dochawkb","yeeHaw52!" ) into dbno
put dbno & "<p>"

and get
could not connect to server: Connection refused Is the server running on
host "dochawkbk.on-rev.com" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

It *should* be, shouldn't it--this is on on-rev.com?

SO I replace with "localhost" for the host, and get,
FATAL: database "dochawkb_aTestDb" does not exist

I take it that this means that I *am* talking to the postgresql socket?

So I take a stroll to the phppgadmin page, and find the  "alter" section.

I don't have createdb checked for me.  I check it, give it passwords, and
get the message that

*SQL error:*

ERROR:  must be superuser to alter superusers

Hmm, if I can't do this from the panel, how can I possibly create a new
database from a script, whether lc or sh?
--
The Hawkins Law Firm
Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
HawkinsLawFirm at gmail.com