Shell commands to find available memory

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Tue Aug 14 15:24:58 EDT 2012

On a Mac, free memory is not the same thing as available memory. If you open the Activity Monitor utility, you will see in the chart green and blue memory. All of this is available to any application. The blue section is memory that was recently used by an app that it may want again if it's available, but the app has released it so it can be allocated by another app.

Looks like hw.memsize is total memory. hw.usermem is available memory. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Bob