The Story of Steve Jobs - An Inspiration or a Cautionary Tale

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Aug 13 12:54:51 EDT 2012

I have to think there is some kind of compromise. I work in a place where almost no one is watched or managed, and I can tell you that all but the very diligent and self motivated really do much. (I hope nobody who works here reads this!) Having spend 6 years in the Navy, I came to realize that there are differing classes of people when it comes to work ethic. Some are self motivating, partly because they have a strong moral ethic about it, some are good workers so long as someone is watching, or they think someone may be watching, some will only work hard when they are rebuked and/or disciplined, and some who you can hardly get to work at all.

There are different methods for dealing with each of these kinds of workers, and applying any single method of management across the board can be disastrous. Put a self motivator on a short leash and you can expect he will be working for someone else within six months. Let everything fall out as it will as though everyone had a high work ethic, and you can expect widespread lethargy and an environment of strife and contention well within six months.

Steve's problem was that he was critical (it seems by all reports) of everyone, including his best people. Maybe in the end he got the only people he could hang on to, that is people who only performed when he kicked their butts.

Bob