when sent a message, the target can't find itself!

Peter M. Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 09:43:10 EDT 2012

On Aug 4, 2012, at 11:32 PM, Kay C Lan wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Peter M. Brigham <pmbrig at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The real usefulness of the long name of a control (or card, or stack) is
>> that it is in itself a complete object reference. So:
>>
>> put the long name of fle "xxx" into tFldRef
>> put "Let's put something in to field xxx" into tFldRef
>>
>> puts "Let's put something in to field xxx" into the field.
>
> Not on my system, if I did the above
>
> tFldRef will now equal Let's put something in to field xxx
>
> tFldRef is a variable, when you put something into a variable the variable
> contents change.
>
> Or am I missing something?

No, my bad. You are correct re putting something into the variable. What you *can* do is:

set the text of tFldRef to "Let's put something in to field xxx"

Then if you try:

put tFldRef contains "something"

you get "false" since tFldRef contains the long ID not the string we put in the field. However, you can do this:

put value(tFldRef) contains "something"

and get "true."

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham