when sent a message, the target can't find itself!

Peter M. Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 22:46:28 EDT 2012

On Aug 4, 2012, at 10:19 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

>> The catch is that the handler has no advance knowledge of what field
>> or card it can be called from--I'm trying to make something generic
>> that can add a currency formatted value to a field that already
>> contains a currency formatted value.
>
> It doesn't matter. The "long name" of anything always contains an object reference. In the case of a field, it will always contain the word "field". The long name of a button will always contain the word "button".

The real usefulness of the long name of a control (or card, or stack) is that it is in itself a complete object reference. So:

put the long name of fle "xxx" into tFldRef
put "Let's put something in to field xxx" into tFldRef

puts "Let's put something in to field xxx" into the field.

A long ID or long name is always a complete object reference by itself.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig