Characters that can be used in an array key

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 30 18:43:35 EDT 2012

Dar Scott wrote:

 > I am not advocating doing away with arrays.  I am advocating doing
 > them right.  This "feature" (bug) should have been fixed before
 > arrayEncode() was created, immediately before if not well before.

Back in the olden days when people still used Usenet, there was a
lengthy thread in comp.sys.mac.hypercard in which Christopher Watson of
the SuperCard team and Kevin Calhoun of the HyperCard team debated
almost to the point of fisticuffs the approach each team took toward
language enhancements.

Calhoun's position was that the HC team felt it was very important to
get a feature absolutely right before rolling it out, that the syntax
had to have a good feel to it and the feature itself be complete.  He
noted that many times the team was willing to hold off on a feature
until it met their standards.

Watson's position could be summarized as, "Yeah, but we ship."

;)

HyperCard died three years later, while SuperCard is still being
enhanced to this day.

Software that's been around long enough becomes a collection odd stories
that explain the many anomalies it will possess.  It doesn't correct
them, just explains them.

I believe array support in MetaCard predates the Unicode standard.

I agree that the current situation is less than ideal, and indeed
NULL-terminated strings are the bane of many programmers who now find
themselves faced with Unicode.

So it goes.

I know many deep changes are occurring throughout the code base to
accommodate Unicode ever better.  I'd be surprised if this isn't one of
them, but there's such a long list it may take a while to address.

Software is a complex business, even on short-lived products.  The only
thing more complex is to be successful enough to survive until your data
structures become obsolete by new standards. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World