problem for the ancients - headless cgi mode and images

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Mon Apr 30 11:06:10 EDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 12:38 AM, J. Landman Gay
<jacque at hyperactivesw.com>wrote:

> On 4/28/12 5:48 PM, Bryan McCormick wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> This is aimed at people who know the vagaries of the headless cgi mode
>> of old.
>>
>> I am trying to set an image in a headless stack and then get its
>> imagedata. In other words, setting it to "http://blurf.com/myremote.jpg**
>> "
>>
>> It does not appear to be working. Is this because the stack had no
>> access to http?
>>

> I think it's because CGIs do not load the graphical interface, so they
> don't load or draw any images. I'm not sure there's a way around that,
> unless you can read in the raw binary file and work with it that way.

There is a way around that but it is so dead ugly that it should never be
considered for production use. You can run an X11 framebuffer server which
is an X11 server that renders to a memory buffer and not the screen. This
will give Revolution CGI an display output to use and your render stuff
will work.

I did that a long time ago but running X11 framebuffer server is not a good
thing for production servers. Specially because multiple hits would cause
multiple windows to appear. Not good.

If you want to build graphics from CGI, I recommend making Rev CGI write a
shell script to call ImageMagick drawing commands.

Cheers
andre

http://www.andregarzia.com -- All We Do Is Code.
http://fon.nu -- minimalist url shortening service.