Get the members of a group

Michael Doub mikedoub at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 12:31:56 EDT 2012

Can someone explain what is going on here?   This works:

Put the number of graphics of me into count
   repeat with i =  count down to 1
      if the short name of graphic i of me is not "TreeBG" then
         delete graphic i
      end if
   end repeat

This does not:
Put the number of graphics of me into count
   repeat with i =  1 to count
      if the short name of graphic i of me is not "TreeBG" then
         delete graphic i
      end if
   end repeat

Why is the order significant?