Help understanding iOS deployment

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Sun Apr 22 12:46:00 EDT 2012

I'm trying to understand TestFlight and the workflow model it supports so as to interact with beta tester(s) for my iOS app(s), but so far their FAQ etc doesn't quite explain the model to a real ignoramus like me.

I know how to develop for iOS using Livecode, and I have got as far as being able to create an app, show it in the Simulator, and then transfer it to my own device via XCode and execute it. My next step would seem to be:

1. Get my first beta tester to sign up: but what does this actually mean? Does he have to log on to TestFlight using my ID and password, or does he use his own, or doesn't he need an ID at all? If either of the last two, how do I get to know about his device and register it within my own development shop?

2. Tell XCode about my new tester so that the app in beta somehow has his UDID (if that's the right term) embedded in the app. I see TestFlight helps with this, but it can't actually put things in my app, so how is this done?

3. Get a copy of my app to my beta tester so that he can test it and give me feedback; and then to send him a new copy whenever I want him to test it. How would I do this? I am assuming that the tester doesn't himself have access to any technology apart from his iPhone and the Internet (no Mac, for example). Can this work?

I would love to understand this enough to get going. Meanwhile my first tester languishes in outer darkness on the other side of the world.

TIA for any clarification

Graham