Geometry Manager Problem

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Apr 20 12:49:34 EDT 2012

On 4/20/12 10:41 AM, william humphrey wrote:
> I never use the geometry manager because I set my stacks so they can't be
> resized. But I was getting errors in a simple handler like this:
>
> two stacks. Stack 1 with button go card 1 of stack 2 then get a function
> (which is in the background of stack 2). The function only worked when
> stack 2 is already open to card 1 of stack 2. If stack 2 is on card 2 of
> stack 2 and the button in stack 1 has to not only open stack 2 but also
> open card 1 then the function was not called.

The geometry manager doesn't usually interfere with the message path.
There may be something else going on. I've accidentally enabled geometry
before but never had any problems with messaging.

> I did lots of debugging sessions. Looked for an open card handler. Made
> sure they were all passed. Finally I got the debugger at my breakpoint (set
> where the function was called) to inconsistently say a bunch of gobblygook,
> numbers and such, which started with geometry manager (which I don't use).

Did you try stepping into every handler, starting with the first button?
That may show you where the problem is.

> So the solution was to wrap the code in the button on stack 1 in "lock
> messages". So I learned that geometry manager causes problems. There is no
> way to turn geometry manager off even if you don't use it but that a simple
> "lock messages" on everything solves it. I am now tempted to madly put
> "lock messages" everywhere.

You can remove geometry by turning on "LiveCode UI elements in lists" in
the View menu, and opening the property inspector for the object. Look
for a custom property set named "cRevGeometry" and delete the whole
property set. There may be one in every object. Altuit had a neat
utility that will remove them all easily, maybe Chipp can post a link.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com