Geometry Manager Problem

william humphrey bill at bluewatermaritime.com
Fri Apr 20 11:41:51 EDT 2012

I never use the geometry manager because I set my stacks so they can't be
resized. But I was getting errors in a simple handler like this:

two stacks. Stack 1 with button go card 1 of stack 2 then get a function
(which is in the background of stack 2). The function only worked when
stack 2 is already open to card 1 of stack 2. If stack 2 is on card 2 of
stack 2 and the button in stack 1 has to not only open stack 2 but also
open card 1 then the function was not called.

I did lots of debugging sessions. Looked for an open card handler. Made
sure they were all passed. Finally I got the debugger at my breakpoint (set
where the function was called) to inconsistently say a bunch of gobblygook,
numbers and such, which started with geometry manager (which I don't use).

So the solution was to wrap the code in the button on stack 1 in "lock
messages". So I learned that geometry manager causes problems. There is no
way to turn geometry manager off even if you don't use it but that a simple
"lock messages" on everything solves it. I am now tempted to madly put
"lock messages" everywhere.