Can I put advisory text in an 'ask' dialog?

Mark Smith Mark_Smith at cpe.umanitoba.ca
Wed Apr 11 21:53:26 EDT 2012

Hi Graham, when I need advisory text I often put it into a custom property
and use a set of routines I've written for a behavior to handle the display
(which can be used on any platform). Here's the routine that displays the
advisory text:

command ShowPrompt
   if the cprompt of me is not empty then
      set the forecolor of me to "lightgray"
      set the text of me to the cPrompt of me
   end if
end ShowPrompt

Now to manage it:

on openfield
   if the text of me = the cprompt of me and the forecolor of me is
"lightgray" then
      set the forecolor of me to black
      put empty into me
   else
      select the text of me
   end if
end open field

and

on exitField
   if the text of me is empty then ShowPrompt
   pass exitField
end exitField

I also do the same for closefield....

on closeField
   if the text of me is empty then ShowPrompt
   pass closeField
end closeField

or sometimes I'll initialize the advisory text from an opencard or
preopencard handler:

   repeat with x = 1 to the number of fields of this card
      if fld x is empty then
         if the cprompt of fld x is not empty then
            set the forecolor of fld x to "lightgray"
            put the cprompt of fld x into fld x  -- cprompt is a custom
property of the field
         end if
      end if
   end repeat

I think this is pretty much what Hugh Senior was saying as well.

Hope it helps.....

-- Mark