iOS Control Instantiation problem

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Tue Apr 10 07:42:50 EDT 2012

Thanks Chris, very helpful. I have not yet found out  how to filter the Console output so that I only see my own 'put' lines, but give me time...

IMNSHO the mother ship makes working with iOS unnecessarily difficult by not explaining things like this more clearly. There are a lot of not fully explained things in the iOS release notes - to take a small instance, I had to experiment to work out that  iphoneControlGet is a function, not a substitute for the 'get' command. It's a tiny point, but it makes getting familiar with a new environment just that bit more difficult.

A much worse one is the description of the use of the scroller control, where they virtually give up explaining it in words and hand you over to an example. This is tough, because the concept is a very unfamiliar one - that the scroller is not a container but a kind of mask or overlay through which you see and control an underlying LC control. I am still struggling with this, especially as it apparently involves the 'unboundedScroll' concept, which itself is very badly explained in the docs, and indeed includes another undocumented concept, the 'clamping' of a scroll. This concept applies to a group, but not to a scrolling list, which is a mystery in itself. By copying the example as closely as possible, I have got something to work, which is not the same as saying I understand it fully.

Really none of the three available documents (Release Notes, User Guide, Dictionary) are much use here. Thank goodness for this list and the generosity of people on it.

Graham