near feature parity

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 13:24:06 EDT 2012

I have had nothing but 2 small "grunts" with my experience with Livecode 4.5
on Ubuntu, ZevenOS, Mint and various other Debian derivatives.

1. The 'hole' created by Livecode's dependency on Quicktime.

2. Characters in a Unicode-enabled textfield aren't visible (this is
quite a big grunt in my case).

I should also point out that I have been making and running standalones
using
version 2.2.1 which was given away free by Novell in my EFL school for some
7 years with not a single glitch. All of those standalones are deployed
on Pentium 4's
currently running Ubuntu 11.04, and were, in the past, deployed on
Pentium 3's running
Ubuntu 5.10.

Quite a few of these programs have leveraged MP3 files stored in a
designated folder in
the Home directory using explicit paths.

I have created some groovy effects using animated GIF images.

Standalones created in the new (as opposed to the "new-new", i.e. post
5.5) format
using LC 4.5 won't run on boxes running Ubuntu 5.10; in cases where I
needed to run standalones
on machines running Ubuntu <8.04 developed using LC 4.5 I have had to
save the source stacks
in 'legacy' format and build from them with RR 2.2.1.

However, all my standalones have been deployed for a reason which
Runtime Revolution
(the company) are not very good at addressing: educational content delivery
and reinforcement; so, as to reaching out onto the internet,
communicating with a server,
and so on, I really cannot say anything.

Certainly, as far as I have used LC in the context of my EFL school I
have nothing but
the highest praise.

My main grunt is with my desire to deploy a version of my Devawriter Pro
un Linux;
but have not worked out how to get Unicode glyphs to show up properly in
Unicode-enabled
textfields.

-------------------------

I have carefully qualified that all my work with LC+Linux has been with
Debian derivatives,
for the very simple reason that that is the truth; so I really wouldn't
want my findings being
thought of as applicable to other types of Linux.

Of course the pricing descrepancy is disgraceful. Of course this can
also act as a self-fulfilling
prophecy; as fewer people buy the LC package for Linux fewer resources
will be devoted to developing it;
but as the Linux package is effectively twice as expensive as the Mac &
Win ones, fewer people
are likely to buy it.

Richmond Mathewson.