near feature parity

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Apr 3 10:24:34 EDT 2012

Bernard Devlin wrote:

> I gave up on LiveCode on Linux some years ago.
>
> Last week I downloaded and installed one of the v5.x installers from
> my LiveCode account, and installed it on Mint Linux.  As soon as I
> started LiveCode, it hung.  Luckily, as it started, the LiveCode
> window was smaller than the monitor - as even when I started the task
> killer to kill it, the task killer could not get access to any portion
> of the screen in which the LiveCode window was located.
>
> If I'd been able to get LiveCode to work, I was prepared to pay for
> Linux deployment.  As I couldn't, I saved myself some money (for about
> the 3rd or 4th year running).
>
> To my recollection, I've had trouble with LiveCode on Mint, OpenSuse
> and CentOS - 3 of the top 7 distros on distrowatch.org.

Have you files RQCC reports on those?  If so, could you please share the
URLs so I can track those?

If you may be willing to give it another go, feel free to contact me
offlist to try to resolve this.

I've had very good luck on Ubuntu, and Mark Weider seems to do well with
LC on Fedora, so while the feature- and price-parity is a bit wonky
what's there should be workable.

Moreover, if there's a problem with the LC engine from your system's
configuration it's essential that I know that as I continue to expand my
Linux deployments, since there's a chance that sooner or later one of my
apps may be affected by such difficulties with a customer.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World