AW: what to put into the standalone signature?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 04:21:05 EDT 2012

On 04/02/2012 11:14 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I didn't get any answer here and didn't find any satisfying answer with
> googleing, so I think I just can ignore the signature.
> If anybody still has an explanation for me, I would be happy, Thanks
> Tiemo
>
>> up to now I have always ignored the standalone signature and kept the
>> standard "????" - my programs run. But what is it for?
>>
>> What do you actually have to put into the signature? Is it a free string I
>> can choose, or do I have to get it from any registration process from
>> Apple?
>>
>> Any advantages / disadvantages using / not using it instead of the ????
>> default?

Well, as far as Macintosh goes; a standalone built "just like that"
(i.e. no post-build mods, signatures, mucking around with the
version number, etc.) works "just like that". I would suppose the only
advantage of having a signature is if you want to link text files,
or somesuch, explicitly to it; i.e. so double-clicking on one of those
documents would launch your standalone.