ios app... any ideas how to do this?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 10:05:49 EDT 2012

On 04/01/2012 04:51 PM, Richard Miller wrote:
> Not even sure this is possible.
>
> I want to create a simple app that can be controlled by an external
> bluetooth keyboard. I realize there are no functions to support any
> mouse/cursor-related operations, so this would need to be done
> differently.
>
> The only idea I have is to use keyboard input. For example...
>
> Let's say the app has a video player in it. I want the keyboard to
> control start, pause and stop.
>
> I assume that, if a field was open for input, the user could press a
> key on the bluetooth keyboard... say "S"... after which the LC code
> would close the onscreen keyboard and start playing the video.
>
> Is there some way, then, for a press of a key on the bluetooth
> keyboard to be recognized by the app, without requiring the user to
> touch the screen and open a field?
>
> Thanks.
> Richard Miller

I'm probably being dead naive here, but, surely, if an OS recognises a
keyboard as a keyboard
Livecode should respond to keyDowns and keyUps from that keyboard . . .

just for example; I use Nostromo Gamepads (not as gamepads) for
repetitive tasks (i.e. transfers
things such as Copy, Paste and so on over to my non-mouse hand); and
both Livecode and Livecode
standalones have no problem recognising the Nostromos as input devices
capable of sending keyDown signals.

The only problem I can foresee is how you are going to get a keyDown/Up
on your Bluetooth
keyboard to close the onscreen keyboard (on some sort of Pad presumably
- you didn't make that clear).