Comma-Delimited Files on Macs

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Tue Sep 20 20:40:23 EDT 2011

MAC OS RANT
I always thought that file suffixes were the 'old' method of typing files (
a PC problem ) and vastly inferior to the flexibility offered by the file
types property of files. This was a point of OS superiority because it
didn't rely on users including file suffixes correctly. And users never
liked suffixes and never saw the need for them and often left them off. Now
we have those annoying popups telling me I'm an idiot for changing the
suffix.

 Even though the resource fork was dropped years ago, the file type and
creator was still working until recently.
A step backward, IMHO>

Meanwhile Lion seems to make things worse with files - custom file icons
used to show in all areas, now they are all boring grey and look alike in
sidebars and some list views.  Also all wav and aiff files now take a
generic icon instead of the more colorful and useful custom ones.

Another sucky and pointless change, just because they have the power to do
it.

I hate the new and thinner scrollbars, too.  It's as if Apple is forcing us
to got to gestures for control rather than just the mouse.

And for me - the amount of false-triggering trying conventional moves just
makes the experience worse on a 'mighty mouse'. I love scrolling with
gestures but I'd rather lose the sideways sliding stuff. I couldn't find a
way to change that in the settings for the 'mouse'.

there must be good in there but to make radical changes just because they
have to come up with 'something new' is just wrong.

Bruce Tognazinni <http://www.asktog.com/basics/firstPrinciples.html>is still
around, but not everybody's listening.

some of you old-timers here probably knew him.

On 20 September 2011 16:57, Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> Interesting, didn’t know that.  Educating users is, or will be, no mean
> task, though.
>
> Thanks for sharing,
>
> Gregory
>

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011, at 1:00 PM, use-livecode-request at lists.runrev.comwrote:
>
> > Gregory Lypny wrote:
> >
> >> Richard, I?m afraid that changing the extension does not cause the type
> to change.
> >
> > It's worse than you think:  file types have no meaning anymore in OS X.

Stephen Barncard
San Francisco Ca. USA