Comma-Delimited Files on Macs

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Sep 18 16:06:05 EDT 2011

François Chaplais wrote:

 > Le 18 sept. 2011 à 21:34, Richard Gaskin a écrit :
 >> For the data types supported inherently in HC, it's generally okay
 >> because they don't include in-data commas (dateItems is a good
 >> example).
 >>
 >> But by letting scripters put their own data into such chunks it
 >> opens up a world of potential hurt, which is why SuperCard, OMO,
 >> and LiveCode support customizable delimiters (the itemDelimiter
 >> and lineDelimiter properties).  HC would probably have added those
 >> too had it lived long enough.
 >
 > The itemdelimiter could be set (and got) in Hypercard.

I guess it lived long enough for that. ;)  Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe added in v2.0?  It's been so long I may be misremembering, but I
recall a time when HC had no itemDel.  By the time HC 2.0 came along I
was spending all my time with SC so I never spent much time with HC
after that, so my familiarity with its feature rollout is dim at best.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World