Something that makes Windows 7 look good

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 02:51:29 EDT 2011

On 09/17/2011 04:37 AM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Dar-
>
> Friday, September 16, 2011, 6:21:37 PM, you wrote:
>
>> I guess I could do the same, but being lazy I thought I'd ask.
>> What is it about 8 that makes 7 look good?
> <note to self... don't feed the trolls>
>
> ...don't get me started... let's see: the cartoony interface, the use
> of the ribbon in the OS, the fact that I spent two hours figuring out
> that I needed to use a generic network driver instead of the correct
> one for my laptop's network device, the LACK OF A DOS PROMPT, the
> inability to launch the 32-bit OS in a VM, the lack of access to usb
> devices (may be more of a VirtualBox thing needing to catch up), the
> inability (so far) to enable the administrator account... did I
> mention that there's no dos prompt?

Possibly I'm a bit naive, but....

I thought an operating system was designed for the end-user to get the
maximum potential out of a computer without having to over-exert oneself
fiddling around with drivers and so forth.

So when I hear of an operating system, that on an 'upgrade' reduces
capabilities I begin to
feel uncomfortable.

Imagine a parent who comes to me with their child, and the child has
some level of English, and I tell them all the usual stuff about what a
super EFL teacher I am, and how my school is oozing with all sorts of
jazzy stuff to maximise the kid's chances, AND, that for a fairly stiff
fee I will help the kid's English get WORSE.

Somehow I have a feeling I would be down at the road-end with a begging
bowl faster than you could say "Con-Trick"!