Apple vs Android in the Enterprise

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Sep 15 22:14:05 EDT 2011

Hi Dar,

We already use Ad Hoc provisioning with apps-- the problem is, they time out
and are only available to a total of 100 users cumulative for all apps from
a single developer. So, it's not really a solution, and furthermore, Apple
frowns on it, and as you know, no one wants to make Apple angry! They bite
back-- hard. I'm thinking I'd end up with another visit in the middle of the
night from their goon squad!
http://tek-bull.com/2011/09/apple-employees-are-being-investigated-for-impersonating-the-police.html

Monte,

It's hard enough for us to try and get an Apple developer license. Imagine
how confusing this process would be for our client!  And, what would they do
with it? Remember, they're a marketing group. They would rather we keep
track of the technology for now.

This sort of delay can actually be something which derails a project for a
customer. We started development 3 weeks ago betting on the come we wouldn't
have problems here. Looks like a silly bet nowdays. Thankfully, our
customers prefer Android to iOS by a significant margin-- but the LC Android
build capabilities are still lagging behind. This is the reason we've chosen
to develop for iOS first.

Like many of us here, part of our job is to sell the client on the
appropriate technology-- and for this particular project that meant both iOS
and Android, which also works well with our skill set and LC. We provide
turn key solutions for them, and having an Enterprise license helps us to do
so better-- or at least that's our thinking. Whether or not Apple agrees is
a whole other issue.

It looks like, after the past 3 phones being iPhones, my next one will be an
Android. I wonder how many other 'switchers' are out there?

FWIW, I think a really great smartphone concept would be one with a great
camera and interchangeable lenses. Esp a macro lens!

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Dar Scott <dsc at swcp.com> wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2011, at 4:51 PM, Monte Goulding wrote:
> > My reading of it was your customer would need the enterprise license not
> you. Is that wrong?
>
> Yeah, that is my impression.  I suspect I didn't understand Chipp's need.
> Not that I know anything; that is just the impression I got.
> http://developer.apple.com/support/ios/enterprise.html
>
> The iOS Developer User Guide describes something called ad hoc
> distribution.  Maybe that is compatible with LiveCode.  Perhaps a few trial
> copies might be deployed through ad hoc distribution.  That allows control
> over exactly what devices are able to run the app and limits the evaluation
> time to a year.  Not that I know anything about this, either; I just saw it
> in the document.  Maybe this kind of thing will allow testing until a
> customer gets an enterprise license.
>
> Dar
>
> ---------------------------
> Dar Scott
> dba
> Dar Scott Consulting
> 8637 Horacio Place NE
> Albuquerque, NM 87111
>
> Lab, home, office phone: +1 505 299 9497
> For Skype and fax, please contact.
> dsc at swcp.com
>
> Computer Programming and tinkering,
> often making LiveCode libraries and