Apple vs Android in the Enterprise

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Sep 15 19:52:15 EDT 2011

J. Landman Gay wrote:
> I was just reading some articles today about Android's prominence and
> promise, and how, given Apple's long time to market, some companies are
> choosing more often to deploy first on Android. But the flip side of
> that was discussed in another article I read, which talked about the
> rampant piracy on Android...

Maybe.  Personally I think piracy is overrated in terms of sales impact.

Mobile OSes suffer from an extremely long tail, and even on iOS some
90+% of apps in Apple's App Store are making less than minimum wage.

What I'm seeing is that success in the mobile space isn't that much
different from success on the desktop:  you can't just post an app and
expect to make a ton of money.  You need to make an excellent app,
market it smartly, and support it graciously.  Same as it's always been.

IMNSHO, the "piracy" meme is just an excuse lazy devs toss around to
make themselves feel better about not making money. ;)

For example:

Linux Game Devs Upload Their Own Game on Pirate Bay, Strangely It
Increases Sales
<http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2011/09/linux-game-devs-upload-their-own-game.html>

--
  Richard Gaskin