Best practice for performance testing

Michael Kann mikekann at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 15 10:53:06 EDT 2011

Andrew,

What I like to do is use a couple of time markers:

put the milliseconds into a_milli
put the  milliseconds into b_milli

Start at the top with both together and you should get zero (to check that it is working).
Keep moving the b_milli marker down until you find the problem.

At the bottom of your code use

put (b_milli - a_milli) && "milliseconds"

In general, if it takes 2 sec to do something it is probably a loop that can be improved or Windows is starting up a program or looking for something.

If you do find the culprit, post the code and I'm sure someone can speed it up for you.

Mike