Scaling to device for Android

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Sep 13 09:20:03 EDT 2011

Jacque wrote:

> On 9/12/11 9:06 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> And with orientation, if an app only works in one orientation on my
>> tablet I generally uninstall it immediately after I discover that. I
>> like both portrait and landscape orientations for different purposes,
>> and if an app doesn't adapt to me I'm not going to adapt to the app -
>> simpler just to uninstall and find one that was crafted more earnestly.
>
> How about games that require a landscape orientation? I'm willing to
> forgive them for that.

Yes, after reflecting on your comment I would amend mine to read
"Supporting both orientations is optimal, but on a tablet if you have to
support only one make it landscape."

My favorite tablet is also my favorite netbook, the Asus Transformer.
It manages to turn the tablet form factor into a truly useful device
with a well-integrated keyboard, so I can not only do the sort of
lightweight grazing tablets are good for, but can also write extensively
or even do server admin without giving up half of my screen (not to
mention propping up the screen nicely so I don't have to hold it).

I generally only turn the tablet portrait when I'm doing a lot of
reading, but for writing it's in the dock, and way too many phone apps
don't have a landscape mode.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World