newbie question about smartphone apps

Gerry gerry.orkin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 03:41:48 EDT 2011

> Apparently it's possible to make iPhone and Android apps with LC.
> Apparently, there's a product called LiveCode Mobile, rather similar to LC,
> for this purpose. Do I have it right so far?

Android and iOS development is possible with add-on licenses. It's the same
app, just enabled for output to those devices.

> If I am able to create a conventional LC stack for my own use, similar to
> the hypothetical phone app, how much harder is it to develop a smartphone
> app?

In a sense it's easier, as smart phone apps generally do less than desktop
apps. That said, each OS has it's own quirks and issues, and of course you
have to take into account the user interface and user interaction
differences between desktop apps and touch-driven mobile device apps.

> Can I install a prototype on my own smart phone for testing purposes? (At
> the moment, I don't even own a smart phone, so please excuse the
> newbishness.)

Once you have the LC license(s), and the Android and/or iOS development SDKs
you can do that, and more. You can also run your apps in simulators on your
desktop machines (I think you need a Mac to do iOS development however). Not
sure about Android, but you would need to be a registered iOS developer if
you wanna do iOS apps - Apple charges $99/year for that.

> I would need professional assistance to get the hypothetical app
> error-free, attractive, and otherwise ready for prime time before it could
> be sold in an app store. What's the going rate for a consultant to help me
> get a final product ready? I assume this is normally an hourly rate.

I charge $7.2 million dollars an hour. (I have no idea what people
charge...just being silly). I'm no professional, but I have an app on the
store :)

> Is it realistic to hope that I could keep consulting fees down by doing
> much of the prototyping and easy coding myself, even though I am a
> self-taught amateur?

Possibly - hard to say without knowing your limitations :)

> Assuming the app is stable and reasonably functional and attractive and has
> some legitimate interest and value for at least a few tens of thousands of
> people (admittedly, I have a narrow purpose and interest group in mind) what
> are the chances that the powers that be will allow the app to be sold in
> their app stores?

If it complies with the app store rules, it'll be accepted.

> Does it matter much, in terms of acceptance, if me, the producer, is
> basically a nobody, as long as the app is good?

Worked for me :)

Gerry