Copying from MS word into RunRev 4.0

Keith Clarke keith.clarke at clarkeandclarke.co.uk
Sat Sep 3 03:03:39 EDT 2011

Jonathan, I've just copied & pasted 'it's' (with a curly single right-hand quote) from Word 2010 (Windows) on my Parallels VM into TextWrangler on my Mac and the curly quote character survives intact. So, for me, Word export and the clipboard are working OK.

I repeated this with Word into a new (Mac - I don't have a Win LC development instance) LC stack and new field with the same results (except the field displayed a straight quote). Copying and pasting the single quote from the LC field created some interesting results. Pasting into TextWrangler (and Notepad on Windows) revealed a curly quote (so the Parallels clipboard is OK) but pasting back into Word 2010 (Win) rendered a straight single right hand quote - but that might have been pilot error, as I don't quite understand all Word's pasting options that pop-up?!? ;-)

You might want to repeat the above with your LC (Win) instance and to check that on your system, Word, the Windows clipboard and the Windows LC engine are all working OK - and test manually first, to avoid any script-based complications.

My gut feel is that this may have something to do with LiveCode's current (variable) support for unicode - especially when using scripts to process the clipboardData. Check out numtochar in the dictionary - if you can set the useUnicode property in the right place, you may be lucky and be able to adapt James' handler to work with the curly single right quote.

Again, during testing, it may be sensible to avoid rendering the text in a field but rather use a variable and view via custom properties.

Good luck,
Keith..