please tell me why this is stupid

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Sep 2 12:33:55 EDT 2011

Andre Garzia wrote:
> For the arbitrary data, use some shared secret between both instances, this
> way, someone in the middle can't fake the requests by simply knowing the IPs
> and the milliseconds...

Just to clarify, they not only need to know the IP and milliseconds, but
must also spoof the IP and be within a certain time limit.

But as for the shared secret, that's the "arbitrary data" I mentioned
earlier.

Anything else?

My instincts say this is too simple to be useful, but my desire to have
it done is tempting me to write it anyway. ;)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World