SalineOS and WINE 1.3

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 10:28:28 EDT 2011

Dear Andre Garzia,

[I am posting this to the Livecode Use-list as well, as other people may
not be exactly "WINE guy" s,
but it always seems a good idea to have it lurking in the background for
"the odd thing"] . .  just
waiting for Jacques to come up with the all-too obvious quip about being
a Wine g........; well, never mind . . . :)

> Hi there my friend,
>
> I am not a WINE guy, I never installed it. I remember a friend having
> a lot of trouble to install from packages and in the end, if I
> remember correctly he downloaded the source and built it by hand. I
> think the main page is something like winehq.

<snip>

> Cheers
> andre
>
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com
> <mailto:richmondmathewson at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dear Andre,
>
>     Sorry to bother you; but I wondered if you could advise me how to
>     get WINE 1.3 up and
>     running on my new set-up. Having got mucked about by Ubuntu (i.e.
>     crashed when I tried to get 'proper' GNOME 2 running on 11.10) I
>     have moved to SalineOS (baby's version of Debian); but it won't
>     let me have any form of WINE after version 1.0.x; and tells me
>     that there are unresolved dependencies, which seem unresolvable as
>     they are not in any of the repositories for SalineOS.
>
>     I played around with ZevenOS (have it running on a slower
>     machine), but couldn't get very far with WINE there; AND, do not
>     want to go through another long install & customise process.
>
>     Perhaps I should point out that I have GNOME 2 running on SalineOS
>     with gdm3; but there are upgrades pending that, at the same time
>     as they install, remove gdm3, impose gdm and screw GNOME 2; I
>     really don't want to revert to XFCE.

decide to be "completely alcoholic" and build from source (what a
detective story that was; fossicking out all the dependencies), so: for
Debian Squeeze and derivs:-

Get the latest source code:  http://www.winehq.org/announce/1.3.31

un-tar it to your desktop

crack open a terminal (oooh, getting boozy) and do this:

sudo apt-get install build-essential checkinstall gcc libncurses5-dev
libc6-dev g++ make dpkg-dev

and this:

sudo apt-get install bison comerr-dev flex gir1.0-gst-plugins-base-0.10
krb5-multidev libc6-dev libcapi20-3 libcapi20-dev libcups2-dev
libdbus-1-dev libexif-dev libfontconfig1-dev libgcrypt11-dev
libgnutls-dev libgpg-error-dev libgphoto2-2-dev libgsm1-dev libhal-dev
libice-dev libjpeg62-dev libkrb5-dev liblcms1-dev libldap2-dev
libmpg123-0 libmpg123-dev libopenal1 libopenal-dev libpng12-dev
libsane-dev libsane-extras-dev libsm-dev libssl-dev libtasn1-3-dev
libtiff4-dev libtiffxx0c2 libusb-dev libv4l-dev libxslt1-dev
libxxf86vm-dev x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev

and this:

sudo apt-get install libx11-dev libxcomposite-dev libxcursor-dev
libxext-dev libxi-dev libxinerama-dev libxml2-dev libxrandr-dev
libxrender-dev libxslt1-dev libxt-dev libxxf86vm-dev

cd to your wine folder: i.e. type 'cd' in your terminal and drag and
drop the folder

./configure

make  [this is mind-bogglingly drawn out, with miles and miles of freaky
code flashing before your eyes]

sudo checkinstall make install

then:

winecfg

should be in place 'should' being every English teacher's favourite
modal verb).

NOT my idea of fun, but it gets the job done.

Richmond.