What's the difference between LC 'shell' and OSX terminal?

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Fri Oct 28 12:52:32 EDT 2011

While trying to get just a bit comfortable with a command-line interface, I started Terminal on Mac OSX Lion and eventually got a command to work (after finding out how to cope with spaces in file and folder names). I put the same thing in an LC 'shell' command and got a runtime error (Handler: can't find handler). I guess this is because in the Terminal context, the shell recognised the program I was calling ('convert' - it's dear old ImageMagick) but within my prog and the LS IDE it didn't. What do I need to do to get 'my' shell to be able to invoke the same apps that the raw terminal interface can? My guess is that it's something to do with a context variable like LS's defaultFolder, but I just don't know how to get there. Can anyone explain?

TIA

Graham