Making Sense of Licenses

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 04:41:38 EDT 2011

I've always found Rev very fair, even generous, on pricing, and when I've
contacted Heather on what my best option was she told me exactly what to buy
(or actually what not to buy!) to get best value in my circumstances.  Its
one reason why I'm still with Livecode and recommend them.  I am sure
whatever Heather works out will be fair.

I do still regret the vanishing of Media, it was a really nice way of
introducing people new to programming to the product, but one can understand
that is not a very profitable market and companies do have to make a living.
And there seems to be a Linux premium of some sort now, don't really
understand that.  On the other hand, when I got upgraded to 4x under the new
licensing terms I was given the top kind of license with more stuff in it,
so no complaints there, I think that was very fair.

There is always Python,and Mark Lutz' humongous great book like a huge pile
of washing up that you know you are going to have to do either tonight or
tomorrow morning.  That book stares at me reproachfully from my shelves
every morning.  I think I might cover it up not to have to be reminded.

Or R, which I feel about rather like St Augustine, "Lord make me good, but
not yet".  You know you should.  Yes, yes I do.  Maybe tomorrow.