Help tracking down a shell problem

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Thu Oct 20 17:19:01 EDT 2011

Thanks for the quick responses everyone.  I should probably explain that I'm
trying to set initial values for some application preferences, which the
user can then change if necessary, so this is not a show stopper, just
something that would be nice to do.

Andre - I'll check out the files you mentioned, maybe that will reveal the
problem.  I do know that if I "answer $LANG" after the first line of the
script, I get en_US_POSIX but if I look at  $LANG in Terminal, it is set to
en_US.UTF-8, so clearly something is different.

Warren - I think you're probably right.  I do have an Applescript that plows
through the com.apple.systempreferences.plist file to look for user settings
from the System Preferences and overwrite whatever I get from the shell
scrip.

What really confuses shows up more in some of the other LC_xxx commands
which in LC often come back with 127 listed as the values for various
settings (I see Mark got that too).  I don't understand what the
significance of 127 is.

Pete