Help tracking down a shell problem

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Thu Oct 20 16:12:07 EDT 2011

Pete,

The terminal and the shell command are different beasts. On your mac, you
can check some hidden files:

.profile
.bash_profile
.bashrc

For example, my .profile changes my locale $LANG var.

I think that .profile always load but .bash_profile and .bashrc only loads
then you launch a terminal, but I am guessing. Its been a while since I last
played this kind of game.

Anyway, the shell() executes stuff in "Mac OS X" graphical land, the
terminal is different. For example, IIRC applescript is not available when
the old engine was running on the terminal but was available if you shell().
Its the little things...

http://www.andregarzia.com -- All We Do Is Code.
http://fon.nu -- minimalist url shortening service.