Making Sense of Licenses

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Thu Oct 20 11:39:29 EDT 2011

Hi Mike,

I think everybody got a good deal on the Gold edition, exactly because 5.0 was around the corner. Pay for 4.6, then pay again for 5.0 or pay extra for "free" updates. A "very good" deal always has a catch. Ultimately it doesn't matter much whether you accept a special offer or pay for a regular license, but regular licenses give you the freedom to wait a little longer before spending your money.

My advice is: use the old version for making your stacks and buy a new version when you really need it, for example when you're ready to ship your project. There is no harm in skipping 12 months of payments, except that a new license may be more expensive than a renewal, but then you could decide to just wait another 6 months to balance that out. If your project takes a year to finish, you'll be happy that you waited, because now you can buy 5.1 or perhaps 6.0.

5.0 is going in some direction and 6.0 will be going in that direction a little more, making 5.0 obsolete, or maybe it'll go into a completely different direction, giving you another unpleasant surprise. Hard to tell.

Don't let anyone force you to upgrade. Whenever I am in doubt, I keep the money in my pocket. I suggest you do the same.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com