Making Sense of Licenses

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Thu Oct 20 10:59:06 EDT 2011

> I'd like to re-iterate however, that we certainly never
> promised a year of updates with the Omega bundle. The only
> license type we sell that carries a year of updates is the
> Complete license.

The Omegabundle included "Pro" 1 desktop and 1 mobile, which came to a $499
value (at the time). I don't think the Complete was in existence back in
April, 2011.

Each component of the Omegabundle was licensed according to whatever is the
publisher norm. For example, Valentina ADK, Valentina Studio and Franklin 3D
all include 12 months, because that's the only way those are sold. .com
Solutions FmPro Migrator Platinum Edition has its own special form of
licensing. You can see everything that was included here:

http://www.omegabundle.com/news/95-omegabundle-2011-for-livecode-released

There really isn't a norm any more in licensing, though I think contrary to
what the experts say about product pricing strategy, many software companies
price/license according to their costs rather than according to customer
value.

Subscription pricing (getting all updates during X amount of time) is
attractive for many reasons - as a vendor, because it allows you to charge
beyond the perceived base price. Customers perceive there's more value in
this if there are many updates. Even very savvy customers such as LiveCode
buyers - folks who know just how expensive / time consuming / difficult
fixing and improving support for feature X in a dev tool - are as likely as
any to think this way, even though its contrary to what they know as
developers themselves.

My point? Regardless of whatever pricing model makes sense for your
business, we all still operate with some base expectations that may be
contrary to our base understanding. The New York steak looks bigger than the
fillet but that doesn't mean it's a tastier or more satisfying  steak ;-)

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software