[OT] Onanistic Ocelot?

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 03:16:34 EDT 2011

On 10/18/2011 11:47 PM, David C. wrote:
> One thing about Clem and the other LM developer(s), they listen very
> well to the users and do a really bang-up job of implementing a user
> friendly distro. I'm guessing that even when they do something with
> GNOME 3, it will be nothing less than awesome from the user
> standpoint.
>
>> PS: LiveCode runs well on mint?
>>
> Yes! ...I've never run into any problems at all using LC and Mint. :)
>
> Best regards,
> David C.

Mint it's going to be because, for GNOME 2 lovers like me, Ubuntu 11.10
really is
fairly Onanistic:

having performed a plain, vanilla install of Ubuntu 11.10 on a
reasonably fast Pentium 4,
and having played around with Unity (again) and found it is not my thing
at all, I typed this
into the Terminal:

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

and rebooted; AND

ended up with what one could call a simulcram of the GNOME 2 desktop;
the panels
do not respond to a right-mouse click, and as such are no good as per
customisation.

One seems unable to get icons to appear on the desktop, as Nautilus
seems to have gone wonky,

The "Start" menu does not allow one to get at many system settings,
Ubuntu Tweak
doesn't play ball, and Mr Slugworth may soon be on my shit-list,

So, currently downloading the GNOME flavour of Mint and, after going to
change the car over to winter tyres, vegetable shopping, getting some
extra textbooks, and so on ad nauseam,

will install the thing and have a merry time seeing if it will work with
a Firewire PCI card I have just installed in the machine.

By-ther-by; fooled around with GNOME 3, and that really did not work at
all with Ubuntu 11.10.