SqLite to MySQL and back or ?

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Mon Oct 17 19:53:00 EDT 2011

On 17.10.2011 at 12:47 Uhr -0700 John Patten apparently wrote:
>Hi All!
>
>I have a little project that is using SQLite to save user data.
>Essentially, each user has their own table created in the database
>and it saves records consisting of text content in mutiple fields in
>each record. The idea was in a school situation, where multiple
>students using the same computer, I could have different users use
>the same app and have access to just their data.  This seems to work
>quite well, and it doesn't require a constant network connection.

this might work better if you have only 2 tables instead of having a
separate table for each user: one table with a list of users and
another linked to it 1:N with actual records with user data. No fuss
with creating and deleting tables.

>I was thinking I could query the local database (sqlite) save it,
>then do the same on the mysql database in the cloud (on-rev).
>However it would seem to be pretty complex; query the mysql db for
>the existence of the user table, if not present, create the table
>and import all the data into a duplicate database on mysql or if it
>is present, update those records with matching ids and create new
>records for those records that were not a match.

If you consider using mysql as means of transfer, why not use it to
actually store all data and keep it simple. No fuss with exports,
imports, syncing, etc.