[OT] Plea for help

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 06:46:34 EDT 2011

On 10/16/2011 03:26 AM, Tim Selander wrote:
> I used Disk Warrior with great success many times in the OS9 days; not
> sure if they still are around under OSX.
>
> I have also had success with "Data Rescue" from Prosoft Engineering.
> It doesn't 'fix' the disk, but scans the disk and copies off files it
> finds to a second disk (so you need another disk of equal or larger
> size). Takes a long time but recovered stuff from a severely damaged
> disk.

Thank you everyone for your ideas.  I found that I had Data Rescue II,
that I bought a few years ago, backed up on a CD; so I have installed
it; bought a 2TB external drive (currently grinding away being "diced
and sliced"), and, at least theoretically, am ready to run; a process
that, I imagine, will take about a week.

I ran a Demo of R-Studio for Mac, which, while being very slow indeed,
did at least show that the partitions, with their data, are "There",
rather than deleted.

I wish there were a simple way just to reset the MBR (or whatever it
is????) so the partitions would be recognised again, but that is too
much to hope for.