[OT] Onanistic Ocelot?

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Fri Oct 14 14:31:49 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> On 10/14/2011 07:38 PM, Roger Eller wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>>
>>  On 10/14/2011 04:31 PM, Peter Alcibiades wrote:
>>>
>>>  Richmond, the answer is Debian.  You cannot do a proper quality job

>>> of going
>>> through my heavy personal customisation process with a new distro.
>>>

>>>  I would boot from a Live  CD, use the dd command to make a raw image
>> backup
>> of the entire drive. Then upgrade. If the upgrade is terrible, simply dd
>> the
>> raw image back to the drive and nothing is lost other than the backup and
>> restore time.
>>

> Thank you so much; I knew nothing about the dd command. That is exactly
> what I shall do.
>
>  ~Roger

This is a good example of the whole process, including restore.  Note: This
user is using a Windows formatted (vfat) external drive as the destination
for the image. Also, the dd command is being piped to gzip so the image file
will be compressed.  Best of luck, Richmond!

http://www.linuxweblog.com/dd-image

~Roger