So RunRev wants more of my money- what has been fixed?

Chipp Walters chipp at altuit.com
Thu Oct 13 02:59:45 EDT 2011

On Oct 11, 2011, at 8:58 PM, Admin <admin at mfelkerco.com> wrote:

> <snip>.
>
> To say I was let down is an
> understatement. I lost my primary mode of income because the web
> deployment module, which supposedly worked, ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY DID
> NOT WORK.

Wow. Betting your primary source of income on a new rev browser plugin technology where it is pretty easy to vet the facts:

A) Plugins for browsers are, er.. NOT a great way to deploy software. Just search this list for rev plugin-- there's tons of information why this is true AND..

B) Further searches should tell you the rev plugin is and always has been a bit sketchy at best.

Maybe it's just our company, but when we architect an app for clients, be it LC, Flex, .NET, HTML5 or any new framework, we spend the necessary upfront time researching (most importantly) what it CAN'T do. Frequently we build test bed mockups just to be sure.

I'm sure it's a hard lesson learned, but I would assume not one you will be forgetting soon.

And YOU ARE CORRECT. RunRev should NOT publish a half-complete product unless they call it beta software. The fact is, with LC, some things are much more finished and polished than other things. Unfortunately for you, the one you chose is fairly rough.

I believe UNICODE has been on the "coming next" list (along with a new improved field object) for the last 5+ years. Most of us who have been around for quite a while know the sweet spots, and the potholes, so many times it's no big deal to us when Unicode misses another upgrade revision. We weren't counting on it. Unfortunately, you had no such forewarning or knowledge of this.

Still, RunRev is a VERY small company. They have brilliant programmers and Kevin Miller has done an almost perfect job steering the ship through the channel already littered with dead xTalk efforts. Perhaps they are now in a growth spurt, taking on just a bit more than they can handle-- hurrying to play catchup with the huge number of features and APIs the hundreds of programmers at Apple, and thousands of programmers at Microsoft and Google, not to mention the Andre's, Richmond's, and Gaskin's relentless pursuit of feature parity for Red Ubuntu Hat.

Oh, and the severe competition of multiple other RAD tools out there might also factor into some of the catchup going on. I'm not making apologies for them, but I do know of a few other products who are faring worse.

So, add it all up, and it shows LC to be a company who is always changing, always pissing someone off, always righting the ship and shipping a new build, and--  always listening. Still, it is a company with flaws, just like any other. My suggestion: do your homework and you won't be so sorely disappointed. There are many here who will steer you correctly.