[ANN] minimal facebook library available

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Wed Oct 12 12:36:58 EDT 2011

Maarten,

What I call "Social Network Library Suite" is a collection of loosely
coupled libraries that are mostly related to internet stuff. I am throwing
all kinds of libraries there and releasing them when there is something
usable available. Right now I've released a minimal JSON library and a
Facebook very low level library. I plan to add more each week and I don't
really know all that I will add, this is a work in progress. The cool thing
is that since they are all bundled together, each developer gets everything.

I've dual licensed it for practical purposes. I am a huge fan of the BSD
license and if LiveCode would run in FreeBSD, I would be forever happy but
the BSD license will exaust the minimal money flow necessary for me to
maintain the libraries. With BSD license, there is not incentive besides
good karma for people to contribute back (both financially and code wise).
With Dual License, I reward those building FOSS. Anyone building free open
source software will not need to pay anything, all they need to do is comply
with the GPL. Those that for one reason or another want to close they
sources, have a way out of the GPL, they can pay a one time fee and have a
commercial license that covers all libraries in the collection. This is a
good deal. It is not a matter of how much I can raise and what I will
deliver but given a steady flow of commercial licenses, how much will I be
able to build.

Please be aware that not all libraries have the same license. For example
base libraries such as the JSON one are BSD licensed. Anything that is a
basic generic library will be licensed as BSD. Right now there is only the
JSON one but in the future there will be others.

I've chosen to go with dual licensing after speaking with David and others
during the last conference. I think it is a very practical approach that
makes everyone happy.

PS: During fund raising you can get a commercial license for USD 30, thats a
good price!

Cheers
andre